Engine #2681 pulls into the distinguished Livingston, Montana Depot on a beautiful crisp morning. Built by Baldwin in 1943, the Class A-5’s had the most up-to-date advances in steam locomotive design and improvements available. These North Coast Limited runs lasted until 1956 when the fine fleet of the 4-8-4’s were retired “to the great roundhouse in the sky.”
The historic Northern Pacific Railroad Depot, built by the railroad in 1902, served as a stopping point for tourists heading to Yellowstone National Park . At one time it was the only entrance to this popular spot. The Depot is now a cultural museum with its own “Rails across the Rockies ” display of RR and western art and hosts annual festivals and swap meets.